Monday, June 18, 2012

What's green and crawling? Buzzing? And flying? Our garden.

While vacationing in Texas for 22 days I had no idea what was going on here at my home in Alabama.  First thing this morning I was anxious to go outside and check our garden that we planted prior to leaving.   I couldn't believe my eyes, there were things growing and climbing out of our garden box. 



Carrots


Bibb lettuce


Contender bush green beans


Baby Cucumber

Already, I've learned some lessons.  Note to self: plant the cucumbers by themselves away from other things, they seem to smother the other plants and shade things that need sunlight.  I do love the cucumbers though, they invite all of kinds of insects.  The bees are buzzing and cross pollinating the blooms on the cucumbers.  According to what I've read this is essential in the development in the cucumbers along with the ph level in the soil. 



 Some of my cucumbers are turning yellow, and I'm still researching this.  Although they are yellow they are still edible, but can be bitter.  I normally do not fry foods, but saw a recipe that called for overgrown or ripe cucumbers...kind of like frying eggplant.  I also learned that the green cucumbers are young cucumbers and are not ripened yet, which is what we are used to eating.  I also have a ton of yellow and red ladybugs in my garden, they tend to be the knights of the garden fighting off the bad bugs.

Red ladybug


Yellow ladybug


 I'm tending to our garden organically, so I am careful not to spray my homemade insecticide (ivory soap, oil, and water) on the good bugs.  I should have thinned out my cucumbers before leaving for Texas, but with so much going on I didn't have time.
This morning I weeded, discovered snail shells with the boys, and harvested some of the things that looked as though they needed it.  The boys were excited to help.  They clipped green beans, pulled up really tiny carrots (wanted to check just how big they were), removed several heads of Bibb lettuce and cucumbers. 







Nolan with his very tiny carrot


Wyatt, with his even smaller carrot


Our very first harvest




We also checked our tomatoes, and they are developing small tomatoes and have several other blooms.  I've also learned that carrots like to be near tomatoes where they seem to thrive. 



So this has been a learning process, some work but fun.  I just had a sandwich with some Bibb lettuce from our garden, and I must say a good sandwich.  



 Although, I think it's my imagination just because it's from my garden!  The boys also ate their very tiny carrots, Wyatt pretended to be a rabbit and enjoyed his even more. 





Well, enough blogging for the moment, I'm full from my sandwich, and rested now, so back to working on the garden some more.  Not to mention I have tons of other things to do aside from playing on the computer.  Glad to be back home and enjoying my simple pleasures in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment