Friday, May 11, 2012

Making progress

Our little garden is not so little anymore.  It's really growing.  I'm so excited about what's to come.  I'm trying different things with the garden for pest control, such as:  crushed egg shells to ban slugs/snails from eating the leafy greens, and homemade spray for the damaging insects.  The spray that I made is a couple of drops of ivory soap, one tablespoon of cooking oil (olive oil) to 4 cups of water.  I need to spot treat the leaves (top/bottom) as needed while trying to avoid spraying any beneficial insects (ladybugs etc.).    So I'm really trying to do my homework and stay on top of things.  My green beans however are lacking the luster I'd really like to see.  When I notice a problem, I promptly remove any diseased leaves hoping the problem will not spread to any other parts of the plant.  I'll have to keep my eye on them.  The beans are one of the ones that I'd like to see produce.  But, it is a learning experience, and I'll know and hopefully do a better job next year.   Here are some current pictures of our garden.

Our latest picture of the garden

Broccoli

Banana pepper

Cucumber

Green bean

Bibb lettuce (with crushed eggshell)

Cherry tomatoes

Large tomatoes

Carrots 
 (How cool is it going to be, to see carrots
 with the greens on the end?)

Yay!  For our growing garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment