Sunday, June 19, 2011

Roosevelt, Jefferson, Cherry Trees, & Tidal Basin Exploration

Happy Father's Day everyone!  Today we celebrated by taking Blake to breakfast at "The Diner".  We had home made waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, and the waffles were light as air, so good.  I had Huevos Rancheros, spicy mexican eggs, and Blake had an all-star breakfast of some sort.   We also went to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, Thomas Jefferson Memorial, and the Tidal Basin with all of the Cherry Trees.  Of course the trees are not in bloom, but they were still pretty, and considering they are one year shy of being 100 years old.  That is pretty incredible.

We did however make Blake work a little for Father's Day, we rented a paddle boat, and he paddled us all over the Tidal Basin.  Nolan's favorite part was the ducks, he didn't care about anything else, but Mommy, Daddy, and tiny baby ducks.  He could have been entertained by them all day.  When we were leaving he said, "Bye, bye, ducks!"    I have to admit, I was so amused by all of the Dad's that were working out their calves today at the Tidal Basin.  When I say, every dad, I mean every dad, that got off of their paddle boat, had the back of their shirt soaked with sweat.  The women and children were as dry as a desert.  Blake started laughing....he said, "Well, I know I was one of them!"

We came home on the Metro, it was so crowded, that we had to stand up part of the time with the boys, because of the Washington Nationals baseball game.    I've never seen the subway so packed.   I was concerned that the boys wouldn't be able to steady themselves, so we just backed them into a corner and supported them, while Blake and I hung on to the handles overhead. 

Here are some pictures that I took today.

Riding to the Smithsonian Metro stop
(in a seat all by themselves for the first time)

Thomas Jefferson Memorial from the Tidal Basin


Walking around the basin

One of the cherry trees


Cherry trees around the basin.  I can only imagine just how beautiful they are during the spring when they are blooming.


Blake paddling us around in the paddle boat.  Yes, this picture makes me laugh.  Just the expression on his face is so funny.



Okay, this picture is even funnier.  Blake was trying to take our pic, while he was paddling and turning around at the same time.  If you can't imagine how funny this really is.  Look at his pic that I took, he could barely turn around for it!

Nolan's favorite thing, the ducks.  They would come right up to the boat.  Wish we had something to give them, he would have really enjoyed that.

The most important picture that I took.  The "Emergency Whistle".  If we started sinking, I would have snatched that thing right off the top of that boat, in a split second. 

Homeland security flying overhead while we were in the paddle boat

Closer view

Robert E. Lee's house.  We went there last year when we were in DC.  Pretty cool view from there.  I've never seen it from this angle.

Thomas Jefferson Memorial



Columns were huge



Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial
All of the memorials/statues are huge.








We had a great time spending the day with Blake.  I'm so glad that we are together to spend his special day with him.  He's truly a great dad, and so special to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment