Sunday, June 19, 2011

Nat'l Air & Space Museum Extension @ Dulles

We went to the National Air and Space Museum Extension at Dulles Airport.  I must say I was impressed.  I like airplanes, and think that they are super neat, but being there seeing some of the really important ones made me have chills. 

I'm not going to know all of the names of the airplanes, but the ones I remember I'll do my best to describe them.  The museum was free, but it cost $15.00 to park there, it was worth it.

On our way to the museum, but stopped to get a bite to eat first

I love this pic, Nolan fell asleep in the car and had just awakened

In front of the museum

The SR-71, featured in the "Transformers" movie, the fastest airplane, ever.









Enola Gay, first plane to ever drop atomic bomb, on Japan.



Actual model that was used in "The Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Upon leaving the museum, we saw some airplanes lined up at the airport, looking like they were going to take off and they did.  According the Blake they were the following:

(We pulled over on the side of the road and took pictures.)


The first one came 'screaming' toward us.  We could hear it before we could even see it.  It was the F/A-18 Hornet

It was way too, C O O L!  Like an airshow, and we didn't have to pay for it.

More up close and personal

Another view, 2 different planes took off, and we were able to see both.

E-2 Hawkeye (Early warning Radar plane)
(front view)

Rear view of the same plane

Auto Gyro

The Auto Gyro's in flight

The boys had a blast exploring the museum and watching the planes take off.   It was a day packed full of thrills and excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment